Monday, April 11, 2016

That one time Gladys Knight gave us a referral...

Hello loved ones!! 

Glad everyone had fun at the baby showers! I love my little nephews already!! Okay and so to explain the title of my email...last week we went to go have a lesson with a media referral we received a few weeks ago. Her name is Sabra and we had been trying to get a hold of her to deliver her bible so we kept in touch with her via phone and we're finally able to set up an appointment. Well we had a member, Sister Dean come with us and while we were there sabra said, "do you want to know how I heard about your church?" We said "sure!" And she said "so about two years ago I was in New Orleans, and I was talking to Gladys Knight..." We stopped her mid sentence and we were like "WHAT?!?" And she went on to tell us about how she and Gladys Knight were talking because they have a mutual friend and Gladys Knight was telling Sabra about the church. She was telling her how it has saved her life....so everyone even Gladys Knight is taken whatever opportunity she can to share the gospel....so Sister Shaffer and I have been joking all week how Gladys Knight gave us a referral. And President wants us to write her a note and thank her for planting this seed. Maybe we will invite her to Sabras baptism when Sabra gets baptized!! :) haha. 

Then we went on exchanges with the sisters in Montrose! I went to Montrose and we had a great day of finding. And Montrose is pretty much like all dirt roads so it was fun. Sister Payne and I stopped in this one neighborhood to tract and didn't find much success so after trying for a while we hopped back in the car to go find some place else...well as soon as we jumped in the car and started to drive away I had the thought that said, "nope. You're not done here." So we stopped the car and prayed again and got back out to finish what we started in that area. And turns out the spirit was right! (As it always is) and we found quite a few new potentials there for the Sisters on Montrose to follow up with. And very great potentials that I have high hopes for! And as we did so we knocked on this one lady's door and at first she seemed irritated that we were even there and then we invited her to watch the new Easter video. She agreed and we showed it to her...a two minute video. It was amazing to watch her soften up after watching the video. Her heart was definitely softened and she started to cry. We shared a little bit of our message and we left her with a card. She told us she was Christian and had her own church but at she had a good experience with missionaries. She felt the spirit and that was enough and when missionaries come along in the future I know she will be open to them because she felt the spirit this time, and next time it will be the same spirit. Drop by drop I know one day that seed we planted will be harvested. 

Then we had a specialized Zone Training this week where President and he Assistants came and instructed us and we did lots of role playing. On our way there from Montrose we got a ride with the Hanks. A senior couple in the mission and I don't know if o mentioned this before but Elder and Sister Hanks served in Croatia with Sean Callaway!! And I love sister hanks she is seriously my older senior twin. We established that lol. But we went to Krispy Cream because The hanks always bring donuts and they had Easter themed ones so I told Sister Hanks to get president a "Bunny Bum" one haha so we did and he thought it was hilarious lol. 

Well and considering it is Eater time I have been reflecting a lot upon the Atonement of our Savior and how grateful I am to Him for what He has done for us. For no other reason would I come out here and serve a mission unless I really truly believed in Him and His Atonement. I am grateful to Him. I want to share it with others but I've learned a lot about agency on my mission and what a role it plays in someone's life for them to accept it. This quote from Joseph B. Wirthlin helps to explain my feelings more than I can myself...

"On that Friday the Savior of mankind was humiliated and bruised, abused and reviled. 

It was a Friday filled with devastating, consuming sorrow that gnawed at the souls of those who loved and honored the Son of God.

I think that of all the days since the beginning of the world's history, that Friday was the darkest.

But the doom of that day did not endure. 

Each of us will have our own Fridays-those days when the universe itself seems shattered and the shards of our world lie littered about us in pieces. We all will experience those broken times when it seems we can never be put back together again. We will all have our Fridays. 

But I testify in the name of the One who conquered death-Sunday will come! In the darkness of our sorrow...Sunday will come!

No matter our desperation, no matter our grief, Sunday will come. In this life or the next, Sunday will come...

That we may always know that no matter how dark our Friday, Sunday will come."

That is the message of the Saviors Atonement. Not only are we never alone but that because of Him we can have a brighter hope and a brighter future with the knowledge that our struggles have already been overcome and there is one who knows how to help us and see us through. I know He lives. And because He lives I have everything. I would be a horrible person if I did not thank Him for doing what He did. And I love Him for loving me even with all of my weaknesses and flaws. I love his gospel with my whole heart. 

Love you all!! Until next week! 
~Sister Amy Callaway~




No comments:

Post a Comment