Monday, February 16, 2015

Prayer works!!...Seriously, don't ever doubt it :)

Hello my loved ones! 
This week has been full of many miracles! So many small ones but I am just going to share with you the two big ones from this week. It would take too long to mention them all :) The beginning of the week was pretty slow but things started to pick up around Wednesday. We do a lot of finding here but it's so cold that no one wants to open their doors for two crazy girls who decided to walk around in that kind of weather haha. But it's still fun especially being companions with Sister McCuen she's so funny! I just love her! But that's really how most of our week went...us finding and having no luck. But all of the miracles have really happened within just these last few days. So I will tell you all about them!

My First Lesson Ever Taught!
I taught my very first lesson this week!! It was amazing!...We taught one of our investigators, his name is Ben. He's 18, and goes to Kutztown University. He was a headquarter referral and he requested a Book of Mormon. He is however an Atheist. But he is one of the nicest guys you would ever meet. He became interested in the church because he is taking a class at school where he has to learn about different religions and so he's technically doing research, but along with his research he has found that he has become genuinely interested in the gospel. And so I got to teach him as my first lesson! 
Rewind to companionship study that morning. I had known we were going to teach Ben so I studies the Plan of Salvation for my personal studies. But during comp study I started freaking for out haha. Because is was my first lesson EVER that wasn't a role play. I just wanted it to go so well so badly that I just started stressing myself out. But then two things came to my mind...one was Elder Bednar (from my last email) "It's not about you! Get over yourself, get out of the way, and let the spirit guide you." And the second was something that Elder Pule said to me in the MTC he said "when your cup is full there is no room left for the spirit...your cup must be empty and ready to be filled." I loved that analogy. And so I just stopped everything I was doing and knelt and prayed. I prayed that I would be guided by the spirit, that I would be calm and that I would not let 'myself' get in the way of what the spirit wanted to teach him but rather that I would be the vessel that the spirits message would come through...and so once we got to the lesson I was SO nervous but I prayed in my heart again and the most incredible thing happened!...I taught by the spirit!!! It was in fact a MIRACLE! :) it was the most amazing first lesson I could've ever taught! And Ben was so receptive to everything we were teaching him. He loved it! But most importantly the spirit was there! And then I was able to bear my testimony which he said really touched his heart...it was amazing!...Prayer Works!!

A Softened Heart
Okay so last week I told you about how we had dinner on Sunday night at a members house. Well the father is a member but he is actually less active however he is coming to church now with his kids and his fiancé and her two kids as well. So her name is Kate and her two kids are Sophie and Jack. Kate wants to be baptized but we are just waiting on her and her fiancé to get married. Also Sophie and Jack want be baptized. Like really really bad! I have never met two kids who wanted to be baptized so badly. These kids are so amazing, seriously I just love them so much already! However their dad would not give them permission to be baptized. He had "done his research" and was convinced that the church was evil. And refused to allow them to be baptized. This was devastating to all of us, because now Sophie and Jack would have to wait until they're 18 to get baptized. Sophie is 13 and Jack is 8. And so through out the week their father was just being absolutely awful to them, like really really awful. Even though Sophie taught her dad everything she could to try and make him understand. He would not change his mind....It was all so frustrating!!
And so on Wednesday we had a visit with Kate to see what the plans were for her baptism at least and her wedding. And it was then that she told us their dad would still not change his mind. That Sophie and Jack were going to have to wait until they we 18 because no matter what anyone said he would not change his mind. Well before we left we said a prayer. I said the prayer and I just prayed(as everyone had been) that their fathers heart would somehow be softened, that he would understand, and allow them to be baptized. And once I was finished with the prayer I honestly felt this sense of peace. I knew that eventually, somehow, some way they would be baptized. I didn't know when but I just knew that they would. 
So fast forward to Sunday night, after we had had dinner at a members house we got a text from Kate saying "he said yes :)" Sister McCuen and I started screaming haha we were so so so happy!! It was indeed a MIRACLE :) Kate said that their father had gone to see an old friend who was a preacher and his friend convinced him that religion is good. Whether or not he agrees with the particular religion but that he was denying his children a blessing. And so he gave Sophie and Jack permission to be baptized!! And so they're getting baptized!!:D...I said it before and I'll say it again...Prayer Works!! 

So there are just a few of the miracles that occurred this week. Too many more to count but it would take me forever to tell of the rest of them I promise I will sometime though. 

But a few more things I wanted to share that I learned this week...yesterday for one our family Ward canceled church because of the weather but the YSA Ward still held church only to announce that they were splitting it :( so we no longer have a YSA Ward which I'm so sad about! But "All is well" :) anyway yesterday in relief society we were taught from the teaching of pres benson and he talked about "Living Joyfully In Troubled Times." Easier said than done haha however I loved this so much that I wanted to share with everyone also! I don't have much more time so I will just copy and paste it because it's not too long. (I put my favorite parts in bold)

{Happiness must be earned from day to day, but it is worth the effort.

We have no cause to really worry. Live the gospel, keep the commandments. Attend to your prayers night and morning in your home. Maintain the standards of the Church. Try and live calmly and cheerfully. … Happiness must be earned from day to day. But it is worth the effort.

When George A. Smith was very ill, he was visited by his cousin, the Prophet Joseph Smith. The afflicted man reported: “He [the Prophet] told me I should never get discouraged, whatever difficulties might surround me. If I were sunk into the lowest pit of Nova Scotia and all the Rocky Mountains piled on top of me, I ought not to be discouraged, but hang on, exercise faith, and keep up good courage, and I should come out on the top of the heap.” …

There are times when you simply have to righteously hang on and outlast the devil until his depressive spirit leaves you. As the Lord told the Prophet Joseph Smith: 

“Thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment;

“And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high.” (D&C 121:7–8.)

Pressing on in noble endeavors, even while surrounded by a cloud of depression, will eventually bring you out on top into the sunshine. Even our master Jesus the Christ, while facing that supreme test of being temporarily left alone by our Father during the crucifixion, continued performing his labors for the children of men, and then shortly thereafter he was glorified and received a fulness of joy. While you are going through your trial, you can recall your past victories and count the blessings that you do have with a sure hope of greater ones to follow if you are faithful. And you can have that certain knowledge that in due time God will wipe away all tears and that “eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither have entered into the heart of man, the things which God hath prepared for them that love him.” (1 Cor. 2:9.)

Be cheerful in all that you do. Live joyfully. Live happily. Live enthusiastically, knowing that God does not dwell in gloom and melancholy, but in light and love.}

We are on earth for such a short time. But we honestly need never fear. I know I know it's not that easy but!...we have the lord on our side. What more could you ask for?...NOTHING! 

Ah! So much to say and so little time!

One more thing! I also implore everyone to read "The First Great Commandment" by Elder Holland. It's a great talk that helped me to reflect on my love for my Savior and how I can better show that love.

Alright I'm sorry I'm out of time! I promise everyone I'll email individually next week! And send pictures! I love you all! And I TESTIFY and KNOW that Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ live and love us more than we can ever know in this earth life. This is Jesus Christ's gospel and it rings with truth. I also please invite everyone to look for ways this week that you can come unto the Savior this week! Okay I love you all but I love our Savior even more! 

Until next week,
~Sister Amy E. Callaway~





No comments:

Post a Comment